Sunday 16 March 2008

Och aye

Well since the last post (which I just posted but drafted on thursday - ahem) there have been a few updates.

On Thursday night G and I went out for drinks and dinner to celebrate the fact that he was leaving work before 9pm. It was also a BRILLIANT excuse not to have to go to the gym.

Anyway, I ended up going on something of a bender. Bit of a disaster really. We kept drinking after dinner (we went to our local Italian and we shared a starter of bruschetta and then I had a main of pasta with tomoato, aubergine and minced beef - very stodgy and an important detail for later) and I addressed all the save the date cards for the people we have addresses for. the writing got a bit wonky in the end but I'm sure that just adds to the elegant charm....

So Friday morning I felt like COMPLETE SHIT. Friday was a tough day. But I weighed myself and DIED to find that I was 66.1kg (10 stone 5.75 pounds or 145.75lb) so YAY me. As my friend A pointed out, it was no doubt due to the fact that I was a 'husk' thanks to the dehydrating effects of the alcohol, but I will take it! I've made it, I did it!!!!! I know there is a small matter of 100g but I have counted it as a success.

And WOW have I been celebrating it in style. G and I have been in Edinburgh this weekend as he had a work seminar and I decided to freeload. Our flight was delayed on Friday night so we didn't get in until quite late. I had the meal on the plane (chicken, potatoes and veges) and then when we got in I had duck spring rolls at the hotel.

On Saturday morning G had the seminar all day so I got to amuse myself. I got up and had a hotel breakfast (I really went to town on this - a sausage, 2 hash browns, some mushrooms and a poached egg, followed by a croissant with butter and jam - but SO good) then wandered around the shops and just did a spot of sightseeing. Then I bought the Lonely Planet book on Boston and took myself off to the pub for a couple of pints and some research. I didn't bother with lunch. By then it was 4.30pm and G's seminar had finished so he joined me when we got The Call.

It was his mother ringing to tell us that his father was in hospital as he was having trouble breathing. He is almost 61, fairly portly, loves his wine and rich food so it shouldn't have come as such a shock that something was going to get him eventually. The hospital suspected he had a coronary embolism (a clot on the lung) but they wouldn't be running tests until the Monday. So it was a bit of a scary moment - his mother was in pieces and we were stuck in Edinburgh and no one really knew what was going on. We have since got the call that he switched from NHS care to private and they have discovered that he has some kind of nasty infection requiring intravenous antibiotics, so he will be fine. G's mother then left a phone message on my phone telling us that he had discharged himself from hospital and was going to recuperate at home as the hosptital he was in was pretty grim. She is NOT happy about this but he is a very stubborn man.

So essentially, tomorrow night's dinner is off which G's mother is REALLY not happy about (I mean she's not saying anything but G and I know her enough to know that now he is no longer in the 'danger zone' she's probably really annoyed with him for getting ill 'on purpose' and ruining her birthday.

So now instead of having a dinner tomorrow night I think G and I are going to have to head off see them (they live about 45 minutes out of London) after work. Annoying really but never mind. At least G's father is not seriously unwell.

So this weekend has been a bit of an exercise in piggery. I had nachos for lunch today and another massive breakfast. Last night at the black tie dinner (my outfit came together beautifully, btw) I had haggis for the first time and it was BEAUTIFUL - yum! I don't think I'll bother with dinner but I'm sure G is going to make 'lets order a pizza' noises soon....

I will to go back to light eating for the next few days before America but I feel like I've made my goal so all bets are off. Might as well make hay while the sun shines as life is going to SUCK when I get back from the USA. But needs must.

No comments: