Monday 14 January 2008

Still going

So it was my birthday yesterday and apart from having to travel up north for work, it was a really great day. G took me out for a very yummy lunch - I had 2 slices of really nice bread and butter, a starter of potted shrimp and melba toast and then fish and chips. YUMMY!! I typically don't care for fish and chips over here as they leave the skin on and it just doesn't taste right. But this was lovely so was pleased. And F&C is my 'go-to' food when I'm not dieting. We also had a glass of rose champagne and then a bottle of South African red. Lovely. Afterwards, we went to a nearby All Bar One bar and had another glass of wine and read the papers. It was really nice.

Then I had to get the train up north so I decided to pay the £15 upgrade to First. Well worth it. It was much quieter and cleaner and just more relaxing. I bought a little bottle of sparkling wine to drink on the train and had a bag of french fries crisps and a chocolate bar. Well it WAS my birthday.

When I got to the hotel I had another little bottle of wine, a marks and spencer prawn and chicken noodle salad and a slice of carrott cake. Buying just a slice of cake and not like a 2-pack of cheesecake or similar is pretty big news for me. Usually I'm all about the quantity and would get panicked that I would run out of food so exercising a bit of self control was a bit of a break through!

So I went to bed feeling headachey and sick and had a terrible night's sleep. I guess that tells me something.

So I had a full on work day today with things not going very smoothly but I am pleased I still did 40 minutes in the hotel gym (not as intensive a workout as I would normally do because the only machine I can use without really hurting myself is the treadmill and I still can't run for too long) and have eaten really well - some cereal and yoghurt for breakfast, tomato soup and a bread roll for lunch, prawn salad and vine leaves for dinner with some fruit salad and yoghurt still to come. A nice clean 15 point day, thus saving 4.

I'm still waiting on my fucking period to arrive too which is making me antsy. It really hurts to exercise because my boobs are so swollen and tender (please excuse the p0rn talk!) and I'm just generally uncomfortable so I hope it comes tomorrow. Then just two days of agonizing cramps and bleeding then I'm home free for another 5 weeks.

So wedding wise I am happy to report that the florist has confirmed she is able to do my wedding and I'll meet with her when G and I go back in June. Still need to find a videographer and DJ though. Grrrrrr.

I spoke with a friend of mine tonight on the phone, E. E and I met at my first job in the UK (god it was AWFUL) and we bonded because we were cool and funny and eveyone else were whinging, small minded, petty people). She is my oldest English friend here (in terms of how long we have been friends, not her age) and we have in the past gone on trips together and see each other now probably every month or so. So I told her about G's friend J who told him that she would not be coming to the wedding because (and this is actually what she said) she doesn't have a boyfriend and going to weddings is too hard when you're single. What the FUCK??? I am pretty sure she will change her mind if others from the same group come over (she wont' want to miss out) but it still really fucks me off that this is her lame-ass excuse. What else won't she do because she is single?? We long ago decided that because the wedding is in NZ and it IS a long way to travel, everyone we invite if they're not in a couple can attend with a friend. We figured that if they are coming all the way over, they are unlikely to attend by themselves and it would be not very nice for the person who goes with them to be left to their own devices when our guest is at the wedding. And we just want people to enjoy themselves and you do tend to if you know at least ONE person at an event. But apparently this would make J feel even worse. So we can't win.

Anyway, I was telling E this and telling her how upset I was on G's behalf and she just sort of agreed and made all the right noises. What she DIDN'T say was 'well of course I will be coming' or make any sort of noises that would suggest she and her boyfriend were coming. When G and I first got engaged (and in fact before when I talked about getting married and knew it would be in NZ) she was all for coming to NZ and said she would. Now, I guess as the wedding is next year and not just some indeterminate time way in the future, she is starting to reconsider. And that makes me quite sad. I always kind of had it in the back of my mind that she wouldn't come as she is a bit flakey and does tend to pull out of things at the last minute. But I feel quite hurt about this. I know its a LONG way to go and its expensive (E by the way is a professional person and owns with her boyfriend at least 2 properties in London so they're not short of cash exactly) and it would mean a fair chunk of their annual leave being accounted for, but its not like I'm asking them to go somewhere really rubbish and boring. Its NEW ZEALAND. When I tell people I'm from NZ the response I always get without fail is 'oh I'd LOVE to go there'. So now I'm giving people the opportunity and suddenly its too much trouble. It will be a fucking HOLIDAY for them for God's sakes.

Anyway, rant over but I am quite hurt and I know G is too. We know its OUR wedding and not everyone is going to be quite so excited about it as us (I mean how many times have I been to a wedding and really hated the effort involved?) but i would like to think that our closest friends would make an effort. So starting to get worried about making the minimum guest list of 70 for the reception now. Fuck.

Right well on that note I might actually do up a guest list for my side of things to see where we are. At least my diet is going well, right?

No comments: