Thursday 31 January 2008

A watched pot and all that

Well I’ve been doing what I always mentally criticise everyone else for doing and that’s weighing myself everyday to discover I haven’t lost anything then getting all disappointed and cross. I am such a dumbass. I know last Saturday’s weigh in was a complete fluke and it was all dehydration that made me 69.9 so really I shouldn’t complain that my real weight is in fact 70.4 (as of this morning) but its still annoying because its going to mean my little graph shows a gain and it feels like my Easter goal of 66 is way out of reach. So annoying.

I’ve been having a good week though. On Tuesday night it was our firm’s annual quiz night which was quite fun but I wasn’t looking forward to it because I was really tired and I knew I would have to drink and probably eat crap. I was in a team with my supervisor who really took advantage of the free booze and kept filling up everyone’s glasses so I probably had maybe 6 points worth of wine over 4 hours or so, and I had some fried prawns and wedges as well which I called 6 points. So that took care of Monday’s saved points pretty much and I didn’t have dinner when I got home so I went to bed feeling a bit empty so it could have been worse.

Last night I went to the gym and did 50 minutes cardio then made chicken in herby tinned tomatoes on brown rice. Was really nice and filling so was a good meal. Tonight I am going to go to the gym then I’m not sure what’s for dinner as G may be working late. If he is, I will have soup. If he’s home for dinner I might make a prawn stir fry or something.

Things have been hotting up on the wedding front though. I spoke last night on the phone with the DJ I think we’re going to book. He is very professional, slick and polished and I can’t help but take the piss out of him behind his back. He’s the Chuck Woollery guy I’ve mentioned and I don’t know. Half of me thinks bugger it, he knows what he’s doing, he will do a lot of work behind the scenes making sure things are organised (he also acts as MC if we want) and his playlist is good. The other half thinks people are going to MOCK us for having the most CHEESY DJ ever and I just don’t want my cool, elegant wedding marred by this guy being a cock. So it’s a bit tricky. G is dead against having him as MC because he thinks people will think we have no mates and it’s a bit random that he is a complete stranger and he’s taking on quite an important role in the wedding. But the problem is, we don’t really have anyone else lined up who would be suitable to do it. I think we’d still get the best man (whoever he may be, G has GOT to get on to that) to read the telegrams/emails etc and we would simply have DJ Dick to do the housekeeping stuff like where guests can smoke, where the loos are, announce the first dance and stuff. Oh CRAP I don’t know.

I think we will have the serial killer guy as our videographer (because he is the only one who is available really), my makeup person has found a great (she says) hair person for us (she lives in Wellington and has done hair professionally for many years, including for 7 years in London) and in fact is makeup person’s own hairdresser), flowers are sorted, cars are sorted, sting quartet done, photographer done (I feel like Kath Day-Knight if anyone gets the Kath and Kim reference) so apart really from the cake everything is as booked as it can be.

Our next big focus is our wedding invitations and save the date cards. I have found some really nice letterpress invitations from Cardlab which I think we will go with (for save the date cards anyway). They are going to send me some ribbon samples though so I can get a feel for the colours. At the moment, I am thinking my two bridesmaids in a sort of sage green (same colour, different style dresses) and am thinking that the colours are going to be sage green, taupe and ivory so that they all tone in nicely with each other. So I’m thinking ribbons etc on the save the date cards will be the colours of the BM dresses but if I can’t get the ribbon colour in green that I like, then I’ll just go with a pale beige or plain ivory. The card itself will probably be ivory rather than white white but I want to have another look at the samples at home. Wedding invitations here are really expensive so I plan to look for invitations in NZ when we go back in June to see if we can get them there and save some cash. In the meantime I’ll just get the save the date cards ordered and organised.

My next big stress (and to be honest I am already stressing about it) is wedding music. G only listens to classical so he will be in charge of finding something for me to walk up the aisle to and in charge of the play list for the sting quartet, but he has no idea about any popular music so that is proving quite tricky. I don’t want anything too modern that will date (Snow Patrol’s Chasing Cars seems to be HUGE on the wedding scene at the moment but I just think its too NOW even though I love the song and have the album). My problem is that all the songs I really like are sad songs – about breaking up, or fighting, or being alone etc etc and none of them are about love or happy things. Says something about my personality, no? And as G only listens to classical, we don’t have an ‘our song’ so I can’t choose something ‘personal to us’. Because you know what is personal to us? TV shows like House and The Sopranos – that’s what we like to do in our spare us time. And I’m not having my first dance to ‘Woke up this morning and got myself a gun…’ Totally the wrong vibe for a wedding.

So far I have come up with only one song as a possible first dance contender, and that’s the Beatles In My Life – you know the one, ‘There are places I remember, all my li-i-i-fe though some have changed, some for-ever not for better…’ etc etc . I like it because I like the tune and its not a really overwhelming, sickly sweet love song but its about acknowledging that you have a past and separate lives and while you had previous loves and cared for people and things, you love that person (ie the person you’re with) more. But it might be hard to dance to and kind of send out the wrong message (even though it’s a message I really like). Bugger it, I don’t know. I need to come up with a first dance song, music (at least 5 mins worth) for the signing of the register and exit (back down the aisle) music. And possibly a last dance song. And then get G to like them all – he doesn’t know pop music but he knows what he hates.

Well more on that another time. At least it gives me something to do at the gym – flick through my ipod to see what I have. So far, nothing is appropriate. Annoying.

No comments: