Monday 18 February 2008

Only 4 Mondays to go til Boston....

Apologies for the snarly post yesterday but I was cold and didn’t feel like going out and the PMT has arrived, alive and kicking. I am taking fluid retention tablets to try and minimise the bloat so I hope that doesn’t give me false readings on the scale.

Last night turned out to be quite good fun really. We braved the arctic chills and went up to North London where these friends have the most BEAUTIFUL house. They moved in in August last year and it just looks perfect. There are 4 stories, 5 bedrooms ALL ENSUITE and it all looks new and stylish and just beautiful. G and I are very jealous and feel very inadequate, especially when we got home, tripping over boxes of dusty books that have been lying around in every room since G moved in there in 2004. God how depressing.

Anyway, these friends, T and J got engaged 2 weeks ago which is exciting news. He’s English and she’s Australian and the plan seems to be that the actual marriage will take place in Sydney where she is from and then they’ll have some sort of party over here afterwards. They are planning to get married this year but haven’t sorted out a date or anything yet. Now, you might be blamed for thinking that they haven’t thought about things too deeply because they’re only just engaged, and they’re just loving the ‘being engaged’ time before the planning nightmare starts.

Not so.

She is about as unenthusiastic about the whole wedding thing as it is possible to be, and he just doesn’t want to do the planning. On balance, he is probably more excited than she is but its close. He proposed to her in Paris with a tiny little diamond ring as a ‘holding ring’ until they go out and choose the proper one. She doesn’t even WANT a ring on the basis that she doesn’t even want to wear it and if she does it won’t be on her ring finger. He is horrified at the prospect of people thinking THAT is the ring he bought her and is insistent that she gets a proper one but she is really not fussed.

Now, I know not everyone is wedding obsessed (even I’m not wedding obsessed REALLY) but I just can’t understand a person’s attitude that they are SO underwhelmed by being engaged and getting married. I mean, why BOTHER?? And before you go thinking that maybe marriage just isn’t her bag and she doesn’t actually WANT to get married, she has been waiting for this for quite some time. I don’t know her particularly well and we’ve never discussed it but from what she was saying last night, G and I both agreed that it sounded like she had been wondering if he would ever actually propose (they have been together maybe 3 and a half years). So I think she DOES want to be married she just doesn’t want to have a wedding, an engagement ring or a wedding ring.

Well, that’s fine I guess, horses for courses. But why not just have a registry office do and why bother celebrating it at all? It sounds like they will have a registry office do in Australia and then some sort of ‘marquee out the back of a pub’ (her words) over here. Am not quite sure what that means for us in terms of having to go to Australia this year (I won’t lie, that’s the FIRST THING I though of when they told us we were engaged – ‘oh CRAP we have to go to Australia in like 6 months and we don’t have the time off or the money but we CAN’T NOT GO because we’re asking them to come to ours’). But G said on the way home that he wondered whether they were really going to invite friends to the Australian thing as they seemed to be down-playing it quite a bit but talking up the ‘marquee behind a pub’.

The other thing that I thought was quite weird, was how awfully opinionated J was about brides and wedding planning (considering she was talking to a fellow bride to be who was planning a wedding). Like she was all ‘I can’t BELIEVE there are women out there who will go on DIETS for their wedding’ (and for the record she is probably average sized, 12-14 or so). I just sort of sat there and smiled without saying anything, not wanting to get in to a debate about why I felt I HAD to lose weight for my wedding. And she talked about how they weren’t going to bother really having a photographer or finding a caterer for the reception (‘someone will have a camera’ and ‘as long as everyone gets fed…’).

So it was just WEIRD. I mean, people have very different approaches to weddings I know, but that is a little beyond the pale. We talked about wedding dresses and she said she couldn’t’ really be bothered having a special dress but she ‘guessed she’d have to’ and how she would get married in jeans if she could. I guess I just feel sort of sorry for her, not having any joy at the idea of having a wedding. I’m sure she must be happy that they are getting married, but she is missing out on so much by not fully embracing the excitement that is having a wedding. I’m sure thousands would disagree, but I am having a BALL planning my wedding, getting excited about the day, working hard to really look the best I hope ever to look in my whole life. I actually AM having fun. And for J (and T), a wedding is just an ordeal to go through. That’s kind of sad.

So am off to the gym tonight for another 60 minute work out. I have downloaded 2 new albums to my ipod so I’ve got some new music to work out to (am really excited about this, I have been getting really fed up with the albums I have) and I’m going to have soup for dinner as G is probably going to be working late again. I didn’t weigh myself today as I felt very bloaty from the dinner I had last night (involved 2 glasses of champagne, 2 glasses of red wine and 2 glasses of dessert wine) so I figured I didn’t need to see it. I had a healthy-ish dinner though – chargrilled squid for starters and steamed mussels for mains (ok, ok with half a small bowl of hot chips which were DELECTABLE and did you hear me – HALF a SMALL bowl?). So I need to eat well tonight.

A pretty busy week this week. I’m meeting up with my friend E tomorrow night for drinks and dinner. E is also dieting but doesn’t need to, lucky cow. She has lost a lot of weight in the time I’ve known her but has somehow managed to keep it all off, give or take half a stone. Then I’ll go to the gym Wed, Thurs and Fri. Then on Saturday G and I are going to an all-day wine tasting event which will be good. We are going with friends T and C (from the nightmare that was New Year’s Eve, so lets hope they’re actually DRINKING this time) and then we’ll probably go out afterwards for a big lard-ridden pizza to soak up all the alcohol – even more fun than the wine tasting itself!

On Sunday afternoon I have to go up north again for work so I’ll be there until next Wednesday night. So that’s 3 nights of marks and spencers salads and the hotel gym for me!

It’s now 4 and a half weeks until Boston and I have 2.5kg to lose.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Later - the gym kicked my arse again. Did it though, the full 60 minutes.

No comments: